One of the most rewarding jobs is to become a high school coach. But, what are the characteristics of a great high school coach?
Tony Price, the current Athletic Director at Randolph High School in Randolph, MA, spoke to Positive Coaching Alliance. Listed are his five most important qualities found in successful head coaches. The list is below:
- The coach is committed to the school community and knows the student dynamic.
- The coach genuinely and deeply cares about the athletes he or she coaches.
- The coach is educated in the sport they teach and can effectively communicate their ideas to their athletes.
- The coach is organized and has a practice plan they execute on a daily basis.
- The coach is committed to values of education, family and maintaining integrity and diversity.
As Christians, we are aware of lists given for selecting leaders, written in scripture. (See 1 Timothy 3 for example) The point is to understand that although these five important qualities for coaching can be used to select coaches, this is just the starting point for those that are called to serve under the OneCoach – Jesus Christ.
We must realize that Coaching is a high calling and the impact will extend for generations. We pray that coaches everywhere will answer the call. Indeed, God is Calling All Coaches!