Sports Spectrum Daily Devotional - Wednesday, May 30, 2018

“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! All this is from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation.” — 2 Corinthians 5:17-18

New Creations

During my first year as a sports reporter for my college’s student newspaper, I got to witness an incredible turnaround from our school’s baseball team. The season before I got to campus, they went 14-40 and decided to make a coaching change. The new coaches made a point of creating a new culture and new mentality within the program. When I covered them as a freshman, the team posted a 31-20 record under the guidance of the new coaching staff. The following season, they broke the program record for wins in a season with 34.

Thanks to Christ, we are new creations! As Paul says, the old is gone and the new is here. Once we know God, our lives are never the same. That truth should be celebrated and impact the way we live our lives. Knowing God has made all things new is a reason to approach life joyfully.

As new creations, we don’t need to be defined by what has happened in the past. We can choose today, and every day moving forward, to live for Christ and Christ alone. Nothing we’ve done can take away the hope we have in Jesus. We are no longer slaves to sin!

Joshua Doering

If you would like to submit a reader devotional, please email all submissions to jason@sportsspectrum.com.